Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for many can be a back breaking task and many questions arise when looking out onto your yard area to see an empty plot or an overgrow lawn area that has been neglected to the point of no return. This information will attempt to answer some of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Do You Need to Remove the Old Lawn. Yes, You have to remove the old lawn. Taking out the old lawn will make sure that whenever you plant the newest lawn the roots can penetrate with the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal ought to be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you must think about the grade where your yard currently sits and also the volume of soil you have to install for your new lawn. In a few special instances when you may put in a layer of brand new soil without being above grade, you may leave the present lawn in place. New lawns will need the absolute minimum depth of 3 inches of the well draining soil, abundant in nutrients. Most lawn removals could be completed with the aid of sod cutter, utilizing a bobcat as well as an excavator in hard to access yards may be a hazard and may create more work than initially planned.
Soil For Your New Lawn. Soil to your new lawn is extremely important to plant health insurance and good growing conditions. Your new lawn will discover far better growth over the years in case a quality top soil is installed. Oftentimes the more expensive the soil, the greater quality.
The perfect lawn needs to be constructed with at the very least 3″ of a well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain at least 70% sand and also the sub grade ought to be self draining. Soils that have high volumes of wood chips and organic matter should be avoided. Soils that contain paper recycling waste and also a strong odor needs to be avoided also. Generally topsoil today is manufactured from compost, make sure to ask your supplier the items in the soil and make sure the composting process is done. A soil analysis with a neutral ph balance ought to be requested out of your supplier.
Kind of Sod or Seed. Sod or also know as turf is the preferred way of installing a whole new lawn. Sod may be installed throughout the year and turf farms are open to supply all year round.
The range of grass seed or sod to make use of will depend on:
1. The usage of your lawn area. This consists of the amount of traffic that your lawn area is put through, including pets and children.
2. The quantity of sunlight that your lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive at the very least 70% of the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures within your climate.
In most cases turf that comes from a sod farm or supplier will carry many different sod that is perfect for residential usages. Sod farms will grow varieties of grasses that fair well for new lawns with heavy traffic and shade. In some cases specialty grasses are accessible for low maintenance. Make sure to ask…
How You Can Install the Sod. Installing a new lawn can be completed with these basic steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls therefore the seams tend not to match on top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing some extra work and spending some extra time pulling the joints of the turf rolls together will ensure the grass covers each of the soil. If you leave gaps involving the turf rolls, weeds may grow in the bare patches of soil. Sod installation can be a difficult job if you don’t spend the time to do it properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces into place using a sharp knife. You may niugpu the scraps to fill out other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together over time. You do not have to waste any extra turf pieces.
4. Water the sod while you install. Do not enable the turf dry at any point. In the event the sod is allowed to dry up, shrinkage may occur on the seams as well as the turf may die. Installing sod over a hot day may need frequent watering so be sure you are prepared beforehand.
5. Roll the new lawn once you complete laying turf. Installing a whole new lawn can be a very rewarding task and offers instant beautification to the property.